Sunday, March 28, 2010

Building silk screens

I've been itching to work with screens since reading Rayna Gillman's book, Create your own hand printed cloth. I did some silk screening years ago, when my focus was on printmaking, but it didn't thrill me so much. I was much more into etching, intaglio, lino cut and woodcut. But the thing that Rayna does with a screen look pretty exciting. But I only had one old Speedball screen, and if I'm gonna make a mess, I'd just as soon make a BIG mess! LOL

So I asked DH to built me these...

And I bought these at the Home Depot.
I think I love that store more than my DH does.
I'll bet they don't consider themselves to be an art supply store...LOL!

After researching prices, I ordered mesh from Atlas Screen Supply

I have to say, this is the hard part -- it takes two of us to attach the mesh to the frames.

But they come out really nice and tight.
So I signed up for both of Rayna's silkscreen workshops at LQuilt and I'm rarin' to go!

2 comments:

Rayna said...

Can you send your DH to New Jersey to help me out with my messy old screens? What a prize!!

Have fun making a big mess and don't forget to ask me questions and post your pix. I'm here if you need me.
R.

Marti said...

Years ago I made screens to fit my basement windows with the stuff you got at home depot. It worked surprising well!
I am going to take a surface design class in a little over a week and we will be doing some screen printing. Would love it if you could send your DH down here to get me started. LOL ps: I have my Fabric. THANKS!