Tuesday, July 1, 2008

3 and 1/2 weeks is too long...

...to keep leftover dyes.
I let the fabric batch overnight, but mostly it looked pretty faded after washing and ironing. The fuchsia seemed to be the least washed out.
This is the one that I thought would make a spectacular sunset...um...not so much now.


The red/black turned out pink/gray.


This is what looked like a bloody rag in the tub under the red/black. Oddly, it turned out sort of a rusty color...no idea why.


The fuchsia gradation.

Since the dyeing was less than satisfying, I painted a couple of sky pieces with Setacolor, using techniques from Mickey Lawlers' book SkyDyes


I like this one sponge painted one a lot. It reminds me of trips to Michigan and it will probable be the background for a lighthouse piece.

1 comment:

Fibra Artysta said...

Dyeing fabric can be fickle. I like how the painted one came out. You could also try monoprinting or screenprinting to help the other pieces you aren't happy with.

When I get fabrics I'm unhappy with I designate them for backings. That's my revenge! LOL! :)